Sunday, July 24, 2005

Mixed-up Sunday

Poor kids... the things they have to put up with once in a while. Youngest Daughter caught a really nasty bug that's doing the rounds at the moment... started with ear and throat pains and suddenly the temperature shoots through the roof for a few hours.



 


We brought her downstairs and made her comfortable on the couch, where she's spent most of the day just drifting in and out of a kind of half sleeping state, hallucinating a little at moments, almost unable to eat or drink anything and bringing it back up half an hour later. Temperature dropped back to more or less normal later in the afternoon, but she still can't even hold water down as of yet and only producing some kind of filthy green stuff.



 


She's back upstairs now, but I'll be staying up for another hour or two, just to keep an eye on things... my wife's been asleep for a while and we'll swap over then so I can at least grab a few hours of sleep before I go to work.

These are the moments that really get me worried... not being able to do anything and just seeing how things run out of control for a short time. Mostly there's nothing to worry about after a while, but we had an episode with Eldest Daughter two years ago of throat infections, high temperatures, inability to eat and extreme lassitude which finally evolved into a particularly aggressive glandular fever with all the attendant festivities, which left her totally wrecked for almost 8 months. Talk about nerve racking...

Oh, and in the meantime I managed to bring some semblance of order back into our tiny back yard and now it's raining... love it, perfect end to a somewhat chaotic day...



... and get me ready for the next...

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, poor Katie! I hope she's feeling a little bit better. I had that bug two weeks ago, but thankfully without the fever. I think it's only normal for parents to worry about their children when they are sick. It only shows you care and are a decent parent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope she will quickly recover... Watching your kid suffer is awful, I wish it can be over soon.
    Take care, bart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little thing. I hope she gets better soon. Take care of your-self too Bart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care Bart, and get well soon, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor child, to be ill during a holiday sure isn't fun. I hope she gets well soon...

    ReplyDelete