Thursday, July 21, 2005

Beam me up, Scotty...

James Doohan, who played Scotty in the earliest Star Trek series passed away yesterday at 85 years of age.


 


He was one of the better actors in a series that always intrigued me, left me both bewildered and fascinated as a child. Opening new ways in the science fiction film genre, bravely going where no actors had gone before, with cheap decors and overinflated egos, the crew presented us with the enormous possibilities of "what if..."


 


Since then, the science fiction scene has become a high-tech industry full of special effects and almost magical possibilities, but for the children of the 60's and 70's, Star Trek was the beginning of something totally new.


 


Of course, I can't resist mentioning a very silly song a few years later, part of which goes...

Star Trekkin' across the universe,

On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk.

Star Trekkin' across the universe,

Only going forward 'cause we can't find reverse.


Hi hi...

6 comments:

  1. I just read in the newspaper that he has died. Too bad, he was one of my favorite characters from the original Star Trek series and I guess he was a great guy in real life. I'm not a child of the 60's or 70's, but Star Trek and Star Wars were my first peeks into the sci-fi scene. I consider myself quite a Star Trek fan and I've always enjoyed watching the older series. It's just so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in the sixties too, and had the same facination for the show. When I saw Star Wars I, I was dissappointed - just seemed like a lot of good special effects with a fairy tale plot, instead of giving me a sense of really going into the future.

    Of course after you grow up and look at some of those original Star Trek episodes again, you discover that part of what made them seem so compelling was that you were nine years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm too young to fully appreciate Star Trek. But, I have noticed that older shows tend to have better story lines & better acting.

    PS: I've sent you a note regarding comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, thanks guys.. i'm glad a couple of Trekkies are reading along as well here... the films have always been important for me, if just because they provided a necessary mindshift at the right moments... keep well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoi
    leuk om eens iemand uit Nederland tegen te komen

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scotty was great...

    Still gotta love that song ;)

    Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse :P

    ReplyDelete